Ba-Yul, the hidden Land of Dolpo, was first settled by Rokpa farmers and Dorkpa nomads from Tibet in the 10th century. It is one of the highest inhabited places on earth, with scattered fortress-like villages and monasteries nestling amongst mountains of stark ascetic beauty. Although the part of Nepal, Dolpo remains culturally and economically firmly tied to Tibet. Like Limi Valley in Humla, the people of this desolate area are cut off from their southerly neighbors by snow-covered passes for much of the year.
Much of the area in Dolpo lies with the boundaries of Shey-Phoksundo National park, the inner core of which is also a restricted area requiring the standard permit. This is the is trek where you will experience all the wonderful variety of landscape and mountain environment that the west has to offer – from grassy lekhs, lush meadows, forests of maple and walnut and idyllic clear mountain streams near Jumla, to snow-covered high mountains passes, glaciers and sweeping vistas of barren, seemingly lifeless hills stretching northwards into Tibet.
September is considered the optimum month for this route, as the monsoon recedes and winter winds and snows have yet to afflict the highlands. Be prepared for sweltering heat intense humidity and even torrential rain as you hike the first few days. September until November is considered the best season to trek.
Highlights of the trek
- Enjoying a day of by the meditative turquoise water of Phoksundo Lake, Nepal deepest and most beautiful lake.
- Trekking through deep forests to the tranquil beauty of Rara Lake, for a rare taste of a Nepali wilderness.
- Exploring the Bon monasteries of the upper Tharap Valley, with its yak caravans and villages straight out of the film Caravan (Oscar-nominated movie).
- Making your own inner journey in the footsteps of Peter Matthiessen’s The Snow Leopard on the ever-changing Beni to Dolpo Trek.
- Pitching your tent in the achingly beautiful wilderness between the Baga La and Numa La.
Trekking & Sightseeing
Kathmandu- Nepalgunj- Juphal- Phoksundo- Shey Gumba- Saldang- Dho Tarap- Tarakot- Juphal
- All necessary airport arrival departure as per the itinerary.
- Hotel in Kathmandu 4 nights in normal nice hotel in BB Plan – twin share basis.
- Transportation for, full day sightseeing in Kathmandu.
- Entry fee during sight seeing in Kathmandu.
- Professional English speaking tour guide and his/her salary.
- Hotel in Nepalgunj 1 night in normal nice hotel in BB Plan- twin share basis.
- Flight from Kathmandu – Nepalgunj -Kathmandu for clients and guide.
- Flights from Nepalgunj -Juphal- Nepalgunj for members and guide.
- Kathmandu-Juphil -Kathmandu bus fare for porters.
- All necessary camping equipment.
- Tented accommodation in twin share basis during the trekking period.
- Kitchen tent, dining tent, Toilet tent, Shower Tent and all necessary members’ tents.
- All necessary kitchen and dining equipment like; chairs, tables.
- All necessary food prepared in the camp by our professional cook.
- Can fruits, fresh local fruits, and vegetables.
- Professional English speaking guide and his salary.
- Porters and their salary.
- Special permit for the restricted area.
- Trekking permit (TIMS).
- Farewell dinner.
- Insurance for Nepali staffs.
- All Government taxes.
- First aid kit.
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu.
- Drinking water, Beverages, and alcoholic drinks.
- Emergency medical evacuation.
- Tips for staffs (mandatory).
- Personal expenses and extra services beyond itinerary.
Day 01 : Arrived in Kathmandu. MAI representative will pick up you in the airport and transfer to hotel
Day 02 : Sightseeing in Kathmandu (Baudhanath, Pasupatinath and Patan)
Day 03 : Flight to Nepalgunj (1:30 hrs)
Day 04 : Fly Nepalgunj to Juphal (2475m.) 30 minutes and trek to Dunai (2,150m) – 3 hrs
Day 05 : Trek to Ankhe (2,660m) – 6 hrs
Day 06 : Trek to Renje (3,104m) – 7 hrs.
Day 07 : Trek to Phoksundo Lake (3,600m) – 6.5 hrs.
Day 08 : Trek to Phoksundo Khola (3,507m) – 6 hrs.
Day 09 : Trek to Phoksundo Bhanjyang (4,402m) – 7 hrs.
Day 10 : Cross the Kang La pass (5,151m) and trek to Shey Gompa (4,126m) – 7 hrs.
Day 11 : Rest and exploration day at Shey Gompa.
Day 12 : Cross the Saldang La pass (4,785m), and trek to Namduna Gaon (4,400m) – 7 hrs.
Day 13 : Trek to Saldang (3,903m) – 4 hrs.
Day 14 : Trek to Sibu (3,942m) – 6 hrs.
Day 15 : Trek to foot of the Jeng La (4,369m) – 5 hrs.
Day 16 : Cross the Jeng La pass (4,845m), trek to Tokyu Gaon (4,240m) – 7 hrs.
Day 17 : Trek to Dho Tarap (4,090m) – 4.5 hrs…
Day 18 : Trek to Serkam (3,630m) – 6.5 hrs.
Day 19 : Trek to Khani Gaon (2,550m) – 7 hrs.
Day 20 : Trek to Tarakot (2,281m) – 4 hrs.
Day 21 : Trek to Dunai (2,052m) – 5 hrs.
Day 22 : Trek to Juphal (2,404m) – 3 hrs.
Day 23 : Fly back to Nepalgunj & same day back to Kathmandu (1 hrs.\ 30 Minutes)
Day 24 : Extra day in Kathmandu
Day 25 : Departure